DRESS-OF-THE-DAY 22: Anthropology Student's Dress (via On The Town)

In celebration of NATIONAL SEWING MONTH (here in the United States), I've decided to do an intensive blog series (well, intensive for me who obviously does not always make the time to blog), featuring a dress (or two, or a style) each day, not previously presented on this blog. Some will be my own creations, whether I used patterns or designed them myself. Others will be pieces I admire. Either will include an analysis and maybe some sources, history and tips. (At least, that's the goal.) I also have some guest bloggers scheduled (exciting!)

And now on to the Dress of the Day!
...
 
THE ANTHROPOLOGY STUDENT'S DRESS
(via On The Town)
 
 
Yes, another day of coveting dresses I do not own. This particular dress I have drooled over for a very long time. Maybe that's because it's a shirt-dress, 40s-ish, and lined with plaid fabric. It's bold in color, full skirted and flirty fun.
 
You also have to love the matching tap pants for the dance number in the Museum of Natural History. And the coordinating handbag.
 
Apparently, other bloggers/seamstresses have beaten me to the punch with this dress. Morningstar84 made a reproduction of this dress for a commission, and then made-to-order in their etsy shop.  
 
But anyway, I shall discuss, if only for my own future reference.  
 
...
 
FEATURES OF THE DRESS
 
  • Classic Shirt dress style, only with many more buttons than usual adding an extra layer of texture interest to the solid green dress.
  • Princess seamed, very fitted bodice.
  • Multiple, large gores for full swing-dance skirt.
  • Accented with black and white plaid (delicious!), including the skirt, which gives a flash of fun during the tap number.
  • Sweetheart neckline with ruffle plaid collar and black accent bow.
  • Short Sleeves with contrast cuff.
  • Matching green tap panties.
  • Matching, large handbag (because anthropology nerds can't cram all of their requisite supplies into a tiny clutch purse) 
...
And now that you've successfully navigated this blog entry, here's a reminder about the Steampunk Apron/Bustle Mini-Sweepstakes (details here).

Comments

  1. I share your affection for this dress, but lack the technical knowledge. I'm happy to learn it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment