DRESS-OF-THE-DAY 2: The Queen's Wardrobe (via Once Upon A Time)

In celebration of NATIONAL SEWING MONTH (here in the United States), I've decided to do an intensive blog series (well, intensive for me who obviously does not always make the time to blog), featuring a dress (or two, or a style) each day, not previously presented on this blog. Some will be my own creations, whether I used patterns or designed them myself. Others will be pieces I admire. Either will include an analysis and maybe some sources, history and tips. (At least, that's the goal.) I also have some guest bloggers scheduled (exciting!)

And now on to the Dress of the Day!
...

 The Queen



Let us take a moment (or many, if you are a costume nerd) to admire that which is the costuming in Once Upon A Time...

No matter how cheesy, dramatic, drawn out or repetitive the plots ever become (Personally, I've enjoyed the series very much so far), I will continue tuning in for as long as they persist in costuming excellence. This level of elaborate wardrobing is a rarity in network series television. Normally, even in wonderful fantasy series, characters only have one or two elaborate costumes. But this program knows what to spend its budget on! (And mediocre cgi can be easily forgiven in my book, since they obviously opted to spend the dough on exquisite fabrics, lace, beading, feathers, and skilled craftspersons.) The Queen's costumes alone make costume nerds green with envy.

The style, fit, cut is always amazing, not to mention the extreme detail in each piece, most of which is even lost on screen, but check out the stills!

Week...


 After Week...


After Week...


After Week...


After Week...


After Week...


And, well, you get the idea...

...

This is the part where I advise you how to achieve this look on your own... 

Beginner/Novice/Non-Adventurous Sew-ers: I would suggest using one of the mainstream pattern companies. There are many patterns with styles close to some of the styles used in her costuming. (As for more experienced seamstresses/costumers, if you know how to draft a pattern, then you definitely don't need my advice!)

Or McCall's itself has already removed the burden of adapting/altering, and provided a design to mimic the Queen's first season promo outfit.

McCalls 6818

 ...
And now that you've successfully navigated this blog entry, here's a reminder about the Steampunk Apron/Bustle Mini-Sweepstakes (details here).



Comments

  1. Whoa! Amazing. I've never imagined wearing a Queen dress like this but you've whetted my appetite. Now I just need to learn how to sew!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment