I would've caved and done so earlier, but I was feeling guilty about all of the commissions I have pending for various costume pieces. However, I don't have any materials for these projects (waiting for them to be shipped), so it's not like I could work on them anyway...
But guess what I did have in my stash? An off-white heavy weight poplin, and lots of random pieces of quilt batting. Bingo!
A Quick Garment Analysis
- Large diamond quilting on lower part of vest. On inside, too?
- 2-inch wide? 3 inch wide?
- row of double stitching at waist
- Piping along yoke. (Don't have piping, so french seam? Row of double stitching?)
- No zipper... doesn't meet up in front (Judging by other rebel troops sporting similar uniform, it closes by some furturistic technique unknown to us... probably actually velcro. Leia never wears hers closed so they didn't put and fastener in). Edgestitch/topstitch, I think.
- Pocket flaps. I don't think they're actually quilted, just appear so form being pressed over the quilted fabric...?
Image of a reproduction from here
- Doo-Hickey. While I've always enjoyed Star Wars, I am not fanatical (as with other sci-fi series). Therefore I'm not precisely sure what it's supposed to be/do, besides make a very 70s-looking vest more 'futuristic'.
- Puffy, rounded collar.
- Length: terminates at hip bone.
- Back: smooth upper yoke, quilted lower portion
My Slapdash Reproduction
- The collar is not quite the right shape. I should've tapered the pattern I altered a little more. (And not stuffed it quite so much).
- the gadgetry would really sell it if it was 3-dimensional, but I wasn't in the mood to cobble together something, and just used some acrylic markers on a piece of craft foam. Perhaps I will make it more accurate/3-D at a later date.
|Also... those boots!|