BODICE: Component #4 for Plaid Voile Steampunk Costume


I opted to cut the bodice on the bias, to get a diagonal effect to contrast the skirt and compliment the hem. The finished effect is a little wonky, but that's what I get for free-handing the darts. The Vest-Underbust I will ultimately make to pair with this costume, will cover this part (which is why I got lazy, I suppose). 

It looks a bit overwhelming with all of the purple plaid, I know, but paired with the subtle/solid black accents, it should turn out more pleasing to the eye.

 I cut a wedge out of the sleeves and finished the edges, so that the (black) lining sleeve would show through. However, it just doesn't look quite substantial enough, so I'll probably insert a puff out of black brocade. The back of the sleeves feature a slit, closed with brass grommets and black ribbon.
(Sleeves via Simplicity 2207)

Can you play 'Spot the Anachronism?'  
One of many in this costume, I know. ;-) 
But if you said, 'Giant Brass Zipper', then you, my friend, are quite correct. But since I am not a  straightforward historical costumer, I can get away with this, right? What I make are fantasy variants with heavy historical influences. Specifically, STEAMPUNK! And nothing says steampunk like extra brass hardware... er... yeah.

Comments

  1. Love the effect of the diagonal plaid for the top, and then going with the grain again on the collar. Looking forward to seeing this accessorized!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment