PETTICOATS: Component #2 for Plaid Voile Steampunk Costume

What makes your skirt look fuller and flouncier than one petticoat? 

Two petticoats, of course!
...

LAYER ONE: UNDER PETTICOAT 

The first or 'under' (as I like to call it) petticoat is simply the mock-up of this skirt for my Mrs. Lovett costume, done in ugly fabric (that I also used here in my 70s Alice outfit) that I dyed 'black'. I knew it wouldn't turn out black-black, but this definitely is only a medium grey. I left the bottom raw, for this outfit will be getting the rough-ed up treatment after it's all constructed, for characterization.
...

LAYER TWO: PETTICOAT

This is the more formal petticoat, done in the same style (same pattern draft) as the skirt it's meant to accompany, only with an added ruffle to the bottom. Note, this is also a dark grey, although I was aiming for black for the petticoats. But at a $1.50/yd, guess what colour my petticoat was destined to be?!

Do you detect my cheater's (extremely unauthentic time-period wise) method? Yes, I simply put a casing equivalent to my hip measurement as the waistband, pop some elastic into it and bam, easy-on skirt! (Unfortunately, it does tend to add bulk to my waist, however.)


Other Posts for this costume:
PETTICOATS: Component #2 for Plaid Voile Steampunk Costume 

Comments

  1. Looks great! A good foundation is the best way to let a historical inspired costume look the right way... And I use the same cheating method: It makes the closure of the skirt easier and fitting to a lot of different corsets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. I've always loved petticoats.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment