Nerdtastic Dress (on multiple levels)

My new favourite dress! (And don't red suede pumps go with everythin?!)
I'm thinking it needs a white blouse with puff  short sleeves and round collar to be worn underneath... Maybe a half apron in white...

If you can't tell by the simple fact of this dress' existence, I am a trekkie and sewing nerd.

Trekkie: Isn't is obvious by the print? I was insanely excited to find this collection (sporting retro Gold Key comic artwork) in the novelty prints at Jo-Ann fabrics. (Also, Marvel and Star Wars fabric series...)

Sewing Nerd: Do you not see the awesomeness of my fussy cutting the back pieces so that the print is not broken up/one continuous design? I was pretty damn proud of myself on this one! That's right. Two separate bodice back pieces, two separate skirt pieces and a zipper in between. :-P (Okay, so the zipper foot on my machine is frustratingly not an adjustable one and on the wrong side, if you ask me. Perhaps I was just spoiled by previously using zipper foots that could be adjusted to either side. At any rate, I can never seem to get zippers to align perfectly -especially when patterns tell you to sew the back of the skirt up until where the zipper ends before you put the zipper in, which frankly you should never do. Always put the zipper in first! Then you can adjust the seam as you sew up the skirt back seam and eliminate that annoying bubble that always happens.-But this time, spot-on!)

Bodice Back with hidden zipper
Skirt Back with pattern-aligned seam


























Brought to you by (one of my favourite patterns), Simplicity 2591... which apparently other people have had issues with. Granted, it isn't the most fitted garment (but that's probably why I end up wearing these dresses so damn much... super roomy and comfy), but the style is cute and the large pockets built into the design are awesome!


Comments

  1. LOVE this. Awesome job, and yay for nerds!! (I googled this pattern but couldn't find it. It looks adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's out of print (I couldn't find it on simplicity's site, either), but I think you'd love this dress pattern if you could get your hands on one.

      Delete
  2. That fabric is crazy awesome!! I covet this dress, and wowza - great job with the zipper. This pattern looks so good made up, but I always end up not buying it because the dresses on the pattern's envelope are such a turn off: they really need a do-over with your dress on it :D
    If I can't get to the fabric store in time to buy me some of this trekky goodness, I will be sewing a dress out of this: http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/1303158 !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoonflower is going to be the ruin of me, I swear!

      Love. That. Fabric.

      They have so many great geeky designs that people have made.

      Delete
  3. Awesome.. really very good. Can you get similar Fabric in Marvel Icons? My daughter would love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo-Ann Fabrics has them on their website (although they apparently already sold out of a bunch of the Star Trek ones): http://www.joann.com/search/_marvel/fabric

      Delete

Post a Comment