Christmas Treats #2 & #3: Stove Top Slavery

This weekend, I took care of the stove-top cooked candy/treats... 

TOFFEE!
So the first attempt at toffee, I used a recipe from a book called Rose's Christmas Cookies by Rose Levy Bernanbaum. MAJOR FAIL! Ms. Baranbaum's recipe tells you to cook the coffee to 285 degrees F or the soft crack stage. Had I checked the internet instead of blindly trusting published works (which would theoretically have functional, tested recipes), I would've discovered that toffee has to be cooked to the hard crack stage (300 degrees F). Trial two  (using this recipe) was a success, with two more batches to follow, for a total of between 6 and 7.5 pounds of toffee!

FUDGE!
I can't seem to make fudge from scratch... it turns out all grainy, so I cheat and use the Marshmallow Fluff recipe. I made two large batches, making a total of ten pounds of the sweet treat.

That puts me 2/3 of the way through my Christmas baking...
 

Comments

  1. Oh girl. I'm going to be at your house like now. :-) That looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment