Concert Coat (Simplicity 2172)


This was a custom piece for my aunt, who liked Simplicity 2172 (a steampunk pattern) for a coat to wear for conducting a concert. My first project with dupioni silk, which frayed a bit more than I expected, but not terribly/enough to alter sewing technique. The ruffles needed black sparkly organza, of course! I thought buttons covered with the black silk would be a more classic/classy look than plastic/metal/etc. buttons.
Superwindy Day!


Overall, I do like this pattern. The style/fit is nice, the lacing detail in back, the ruffle, sleeve flanges, fully functional slanted pockets with flap detail (love them!)... Had to shorten it a few inches in order to have the grain of the dupioni 'slubs' run vertical. However, given how most patterns are designed in the tallish/model standard, it falls to a rather nice length. Also, I finished seams and raw edges instead of lining it, for concerns as to weight (also why silk was chosen, poly would be too hot for use under stage lighting and wasn't feeling any of the cottons I'd seen).

Comments

  1. Easily my favorite version of this coat - ever! The sparkly organza ruffles are gorgeous (I may have to borrow that idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely gorgeous! You've done a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment