THE VICTORIAN STEAMPUNK DRESS PROJECT: PART IX (Redefinition and some fabrics)

[I accomplished my goals for the month! WOO! You'll have to take my word for it because since some were gifts, I'm not risking posting them until they've been received (not that the recipients are probably even aware this blog exists). I will share later on, because I'm quite pleased with the results.]

Anyway, considering fabrics for my VICTORIAN STEAMPUNK DRESS,

Purple Silk-Cotton Poplin

Iridescent Plum Silk Dupioni


 I have already decided on a plum/purple for some reason. I guess because I read somewhere that plum is a good autumn colour, which with my olive skin and brown hair and eyes, I supposedly am. It also may be I have a an affinity for the colour. :-) To be honest, for once , I do not enjoy the more textured fabric. Dupioni has never especially appealed to me, except for the fact that it comes in spectacularly iridescent tones! Bright colours would not be appropriate for a Riding Habit, but since I, 1. Don't ride, 2. Have given up on this being a period piece, and 3. Decided to steampunk it up, I think I'll do what I like. :-P (Which of course, in of itself, being nonconformist/traditional/sticking it to the man is an essential part of steampunk).


Problem: The Riding Habit skirt pattern I'm using is in just two pieces (front and back), both of which are extremely wide and long. Enlarging the pattern, which is inevitable to fit any woman alive today, unless you are EXTREMELY petite (which I am most definitely not), will require even more fabric. In other words, not even 54"/60" wide is likely to cut it. I could just adjust the waist, and the drape would just be not so intense/gathered. This may need to be rethought....

Comments

  1. I love those fabrics! I'm so excited to see the final project!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as skirt patterns go, the best way is to add panels, even if you have to make them more narrow than the original pattern would have you make them. Often, I work with a three panel skirt, where the front is symmetrical in cut, and if there is a train or bustle or both, that shape is accommodated in two back panels, that are each others' mirror images.

    The good thing of having extra fabric, especially by the waist in this version, allows for plaiting along the waistline to add weight to the back for bustles, or selective plaiting to add a little volume where it's needed. Some hidden stitching can help keep the skirt's shape where it should be, if you don't wish to starch and iron it.

    I'm bad at explaining this, sorry... :/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment