ABOUT FRICKEN TIME!!! (raincoat)


Simplicity 4084 Trench Coat Pattern Variation B (altered for hood instead of collar) in Nicey Jane Lindy Leaf Laminated Cotton. I know it looks crazy busy with the intense print, but I quite like it!

.






Construction Issues
So laminated fabric is a pain in the ass, because it doesn't like to feed through the machine. With right sides together, sewing the main seams isn't a problem (too much), but the topstitching is an epic fail. My solution: 'borrow' tear-a-way stabilizer from work (scraps we were just going to throw out anyway), sandwich the garment between them and the feeddogs grip the paper-like stabilizer. Had to be careful tearing it away, since it tends to pull up the stitching (causing loops/loose stitches...grr...) even with the bobbin and tension tightened and the stitch length set shorter/tighter.  But it was the only solution I could finagle...


*EDIT* Have to love craftster! trashytrashytrash posted this helpful link on my raincoat thread in the forum upon hearing of my difficulties with the laminated fabric. Apparently, there are special 'non-stick' pressor feet to deal with vinyl and vinyl-like fabrics. I might have to look into acquiring one for my machine if I decide to do more (and I do have a significant amount of the laminated fabric left).

Comments